April 1, 2013

Never Happy

Client Situations
Never Happy

If you are in the beauty industry, we've all run into our client who is never happy.  You've done your best and it's still not enough.  You see the look of disappointment on their face and your heart sinks.  This one client in particular made me question whether I was in the right field or not.  I had just begun working at the spa I'm at now and I was still gaining my confidence.  This woman basically shattered it.


We'll call her Diane.  So, Diane comes in for a facial on the afternoon of her birthday.  She had no main concerns, it was just time for a facial.

Diane was not much of a talker.  She was very closed off.  I asked her all the basic questions but she was not having it.  I can take a hint so, I sat silently while going through the steps.  This was strange to me because most people who I get talking during a facial basically tell me their life story.  I shrugged it off to her just not being in the mood to talk.

Clients receive a complimentary eyebrow wax with any facial.  Most decline but Diane wanted one.  She had a nice shape already so I just cleaned them up.  I handed her the mirror to see how she liked it and she flat out said she didn't.  She wanted her "eyes to look more open."  I didn't understand how to achieve this, seeing as I thought her shape was already perfect for her face.  When I asked how she wanted me to do that, not even she knew.

FYI:  In my experience, makeup is what helps to make your eyes appear more open.  Here are a few tips.  Apply a light colored shadow to the inner corner of your eyes.  You can also line your waterline (the small area of skin behind your lower lashes and in front of your eye.  Your tear duct is located here.) with a white or champagne colored eye liner.


I tried my best to achieve her goal.  I waxed and tweezed until she finally said it looked "fine, I guess."  This completely crushed me.  Fine I guess?  They looked great.  I did everything in my power to make her happy.

After she left, I walked around for the rest of the day in a funk.  Was being an Esthetician not cut out for me?  I continued questioning myself despite my other clients raving about how much they loved the 'new Esthetician.'

That was until the next time Diane came in.  It was the same old song and dance.  She wasn't satisfied yet again.  
If she wasn't happy the first time, why did she come back?  Finally, I chalked it up to her just not being happy in general based on the first attempt at a conversation we had.

Some people are just never happy.

Ciao,
Toni

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?